What we do
Capital & Space Management plans and manages space, physical assets and capital resources for the University of Washington community in support of public service, education, health and research in collaboration with partners across the institution.
We serve the UW by providing the following services:
- Coordinates and facilitates the capital planning process for the University
- Assists with defining and prioritizing projects for future funding targets/requests
- Develops options and business case for potential projects
- Facilitates project approval and delivery through UW responsible officials and partners
- Obtains land use entitlements for all development projects
- Explores new approaches for achieving greater efficiencies in the use of space
- Conducts space studies and audits consistent with campus strategic objectives
- Identifies, formulates and negotiates space solutions
- Supports and informs the campus space inventory and database
- Supports the space assignment and capital improvements on and off-campus
- Chairs and facilitates the Space Strategy Team and Space Advisory Committee
Process diagram (PDF)
Campus land use legal coordination
Working with the Attorney General's Office, CPD coordinates all land use activities for all campuses and outstations. This coordination occasionally includes complex legal issues. As many of these issues overlap and are applicable to each campus and in multiple situations, careful in-house management of this information helps us meet our goal of reducing costs to the University while providing the best service possible to our clients.
Land use and SEPA-related questions should be directed to the University Environmental Planner, who will work with applicable departments to determine if questions/issues can be responded to by either the planner and/or the Attorney General’s (AG) office. Please have available: a brief project description, budget number, lead client contact, a “not to exceed amount” and the questions and/or issues as they are understood.
If the determination is made to enlist outside help, the AG’s office will assist.
Resources and tools
Executive Director, Capital Planning & Space Management