UWF staff nominated for 2024 Distinguished Staff Award

Meet Facilities' 2024 honorees and learn what inspires them
pictures of people with text '2024 DSA nominees'

Clockwise from bottom left: Geoff Hallett, Sarah Lewis-Assink, Anne Marie Marshall, Reggie Taschereau, Anna Daeuble

The UW's Distinguished Staff Award (DSA) is the University's highest staff honor, recognizing employees who exemplify excellence in collaboration, innovation, impact, career achievement, and diversity, equity and inclusion. Winners of the DSA are announced in May.

Five UWF staff members for the DSA were nominated. We asked them to share a few insights about what they do and what inspires them. All interviews have been edited for length and clarity.

Anna Daeuble headshot

Anna Daeuble, Program Operations Specialist

What’s your job in one sentence?

I work on early planning and formation of renovation and space projects throughout the UW campus, specifically for my six clients that include Intercollegiate Athletics, Recreation, Libraries, College of the Environment, College of Education and the Information School.

What’s your favorite aspect of the job or working for the UW in general?

I think it is the relationship building that happens through the work we do. It’s very challenging and hard work, which makes these relationships even more important and rewarding. This includes relationships with our clients, our colleagues in Facilities, our consultants and vendors. These relationships are what keep the wheels turning.

What motivates you? Any word of inspiration or advice?

I think some advice would be to always ask questions, even when it's hard, even if it's when you feel like you're the only person in the room who doesn’t know the answer. Being inquisitive and always willing to learn is so critical in what we do, and there is such a deep well of knowledge within our organization. And with this sharing of knowledge, we all can do our jobs better! But sometimes that means being vulnerable and willing to be the one to raise your hand.

What motivates me is the opportunities we have for collaboration and, again, that relationship building — and then when together we can make a difference for our students and our community, with these projects that really make an impact.

What does the recognition mean to you personally or professionally?

The feeling of being appreciated, I think for anybody, keeps the wind in your sails and keeps you moving forward. My first reaction to the nomination was that imposter syndrome, like, I don't deserve this! There are so many people who work hard, who are great at their jobs, and I felt humbled and not deserving at the beginning, but then I realized that instead I should just feel thankful. So now I just feel thankful! I hope everybody has the opportunity to have this kind of recognition — it is special and really great to be seen and appreciated.

Geoff Hallett headshot

Geoff Hallett, Control Technician

gh

What’s your job in one sentence?

I program, service, maintain and train on the life safety fire alarm network, which ensures the protection of the entire campus, staff and students. 

What's a favorite aspect of your job or working for the University in general?

I get great satisfaction from being able to fully participate in the operation and maintenance of the most important campus system for life safety.

What motivates you? Any word of inspiration or advice you’d like to share?

I am motivated by working closely with the other fire alarm team members, who are also dedicated to the campus, and to be able to advise and support them. The constant care and attention guarantees that if an emergency arises, lives will be saved. We have a great village. 

What does this recognition mean to you personally or professionally?

It is an honor to be recognized for doing an important job that I love. The work of the fire alarm crew is mostly behind the scenes, and I can share this with all of them.

Sarah Lewis-Assink headshot

Sarah Lewis-Assink, Training Specialist

sla

What’s your job in one sentence?

Help UW Facilities employees access professional and leadership development training, stay in compliance with safety training and provide career support and encouragement.

Stepping Stones, the leadership program for staff, is my favorite. I love watching people learn, and adult education is so interesting. I’ve watched my colleagues grow so much in their capacity for empathy and actively applying it both at home and at work. And I just really love being able to be part of positive culture change and seeing how people change for the better. Then they change their work environments, they change their families and they change their communities.

I love being challenged by others’ experiences and having the world open up to me in a new and wild and wonderful way. If I had any advice to anyone, I would say be open to learning from anyone and everyone; it makes us all better people and better to one another.

What does the recognition mean to you personally, or professionally?

I don’t know how to quite express what it means to me. I am honored that several people took a lot of time — out of their packed schedules — to write up how they felt about me and my work. I don't see myself the way others see me, and getting to read what they said is very healing, giving me a safe landing place. Being able to see the bigger picture, even when I make mistakes and mess up, I have all these buckets of kind words to come back to.

Anne Marie Marshall with her dog

Anne Marie Marshall, Assistant Director

amm

What’s your job in one sentence?  

My role as a human resources professional revolves around managing UWF’s most valuable asset: the people.

I have the opportunity to speak with employees at every level of the organization about every imaginable thing.

“There are three ways to ultimate success: The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind.” —Mister Rogers

My work accomplishments are a direct result of the exceptional team I have the privilege to collaborate with. 

Reggie Teschereau headshot

Reggie Taschereau, Employee Relations Manager

rt

Retired March 2024

What’s your job in one sentence?

Helping people find solutions to their issues or problems by guiding them through the laws, rules and processes of the University and human resources.

All the great people that I got to work with, because everybody — whether in Facilities or in other departments when I needed to reach out to other places — was great and willing to be helpful to one degree or another. And I enjoyed the diversity and learning about people as individuals.

Well, what motivates me is the opportunity to help people resolve their issues. Because it's not always a simple, easy-to-follow system — not just the University system, but the federal and state laws. Sometimes people come up and they have an issue and may have no idea where to go next.

And my advice would be: don't hesitate to reach out for help. There is lots of help, and people are willing to do it. But they won't reach out and tell you that you need help. You just need to ask for it.

What does this recognition image recognition mean to you personally or professionally?

Oh, I guess validation of my commitment to providing top quality service. It's nice for people to say I was successful at doing that. When you're doing it, you don't always realize how it's being received and whether people are valuing what you do or not.